Monday, March 24, 2008

"3:10 to Yuma" Review

"3:10 to Yuma"
2007
*** 1/2 out of ****
Director: James Mangold
Cast: Russell Crowe, Christian Bale, Logan Lerman

Way back in September, I remember hearing great things about Russell Crowe and his role in "3:10 to Yuma". I also recall reading quite a few positive reviews on the film itself. It was tagged "Oscar-worthy" by the critics, but I wasn't biting. To me, it was just another cowboy movie, and what's more, just another movie I wasn't paying to see in theaters.

Now, it's 6 months later, and the film is nominated for 2 Oscars. Go figure. Just another film I mis-judged by the trailers.

Well, I saw it on Blu-Ray, and have concluded that the nominations are well-deserved. Nominated for "Best Achievement in Music" and "Best Achievement in Sound", "3:10 to Yuma" was, in fact, pleasing to the ear. The music was absolutely amazing, and in some scenes, gave me chills. When Ben Wade and his gang
ride into town in one of the opening scenes, the music got so tense that I gave a little shake myself. This was excellent foreshadowing for what was to come. It did not end here. The drama and emotion of the music lasted throughout the entire film. In the very last scene, the music was so dramatic that it really set the mood for what was happening. It intensified the emotion of the scene. Pretty amazing.

I truely thought that this was going to be another classic cowboy movie that we would be watching on the Hallmark channel in 10 years after "Walker, Texas Ranger." Another "Tombstone" that was a good movie, but not really anything special. Now this is coming from a guy who never saw the original, so everyone may not have had the same outlook. However, at this point, all I know is, I was wrong.

Dan Evans (Bale) is a pretty normal cowboy. He has a small farm, some cattle, and a family. But that's about it. He is an everyday cowboy trying to make an honest living. When Ben Wade and his crew ride into town, his barn gets burned and he loses some of his cattle. So Dan confronts Wade about it in a saloon, and Wade compensates him. Just then, a swarm of calvary burst in and place Wade under arrest for holding up a pinkerton (an armored stagecoach, more or less), which he had apparently done 21 times. His punishment: To be sent on a 3:10 train to Yuma prison. The sheriff asked for three men to accompany them, so Dan volunteers, for 200 dollars. He is desperate, needs the money, and at this point, will do anything. He proclaims to his wife in probably one of the saddest lines in the movie: "I'm sick of watching my boys go hungry." So Dan, a horse doctor, and an old man Wade shot take off with Wade, in the hopes to get him to the 3:10 train to Yuma. Dan's eldest son will eventually join them, and will play a huge role in the outcome of the film. In the meantime, while the group is putting up with Wade's crap while transferring him by horse to Yuma, Wade's gang is on their way to rescue him.

I was thoroughly pleased with this film. The music was amazing, and the special effects were phenominal. I was sitting in my recliner with the blu-ray on, a 52 inch TV, with high quality surround sound, and during the shoot-outs, I sware I felt like I was right in the middle of it. The whole room shook. It was exceptional sound. Nomination well deserved, and it has my vote in this category.

The plot was very nicely set up. As the story continued, they didn't give much away, and in some parts, mis-leads you. This keeps you guessing throughout the entire film. It made the movie itself more enjoyable, seeing how wrong you were and laughing at the unique twists.

I absolutely cannot review this film without saying anything about Russell Crowe. Come on. He was totally and completely amazing. I have seen Crowe in so many movies, and it seems, he was excellent in all of them. He has played a variety of characters, and excelled in them all. In my opinion, Crowe is what I call a professional actor. In my dictionary, this means that he knows what he is doing, and is extremely good at it. In other words, Crowe could play any role. Put a script in front of him, chances are he'll be able to be that particular character. In "3:10 to Yuma", his acting was phenominal as Ben Wade. His expressions were funny, serious, or tired. He fit in the role, and became the character. He was totally convincable as the big bad bully cowboy of the West. He was awesome. He is awesome. Russell Crowe.

*** 1/2 stars from me. I liked it a lot, and regret not seeing it in theaters. I would reccommend this to anyone who likes adventurous films, films with amazing music, and Westerns. I was having trouble ending this review properly, so I will just go with TonyD's advice: "3:10 to Yuma" was a f****** awesome movie. The end.

No comments: